Want these delicious links emailed to you once a week? Sign up for The OutRamp Writer’s Wroundup Newsletter
The Latest Awesome Writing Tidbits:
- [The] first page is the start of the fulfillment of promise of your premise.
- Every character has a relationship to power.
- Your supporting crew should not orbit around your Main Character.
- Stories are about people with problems to be solved. Everything else is a travel brochure.
- The only true measure of whether a piece of writing is any good is the impact it has on its intended audience.
- Morgan Mandel (Blood-Red Pencil) with Series Setup
- Chuck Wendig: Five Common Problems I See In Your Stories
- Jennifer L. Kelly: Using the 5 Senses to Create Setting
- Janice Hardy (QueryTracker) with Choosing a Point of View Character
- Social Publishing House: How to Write Killer Fight Scenes
- Kathryn Lilley (The Kill Zone) with A Handy Cure for Word-itis
- Kerrie Flanagan (WritersDigest.com) with 3 Writing Tips from Brat-Pack Star-Turned-Writer Andrew McCarthy
Craft – Characterization
- Maureen Kincaid Speller (A Dribble of Ink) with “They Are Not Ghosts: On the Representation of the Indigenous Peoples of North America in Science Fiction & Fantasy” by Maureen Kincaid Speller
- Daniel José Older (BuzzFeed) with 12 Fundamentals Of Writing “The Other” (And The Self)
- Dreams of the Shining Horizon: “What about second breakfast?” – Two Examples of Character Building From The Fellowship of the Ring
- Jami Gold: What’s the Perfect Job for Our Characters?
- Kris Noel: Creating a Superhero Character from Scratch
- Kris Noel: Writing Effective Character Breakdowns
- Matt Clang: Some thoughts on supporting characters
- SF Signal: Special Needs in Strange Worlds: Alex Hughes on Writing a Character with an Addiction Problem
- Liz Bureman (The Write Practice) with Is Your Protagonist a Thinker or a Feeler?
- Liz Bourke (Tor) with Sleeps With Monsters: “It is Very Simple, but in War the Simplest Things Become Very Difficult”
Craft – Plotting, Pacing and Scene
- K.M. Weiland (Helping Writers Become Authors) with Are Your Plot Points Too Weak?
- Kristen Lamb: Pirate Codes & Writing Rules—When is a Flashback a Literary Device?
- Kristen Lamb: The Hidden EVIL of Flashbacks
- Kristen Lamb: Why Too Many Flashbacks Might Be a Warning of Deeper Story Problems
- Moody Writing: Scene Simpatico
- Janice Hardy (The Other Side of the Story) with Why Quieter Stakes Are Easier to Plot With
- Pepper Basham (The Writers Alley) with A Tangled Plot Structure
Craft – Worldbuilding
- Leo Elijah Cristea (Fantasy Faction) with Magic In Fantasy: Alternative Magic Systems
- Scott Eagan: Writing Contemporary Requires Just As Much World Building
Craft – Grammar and Mechanics
- Maeve Maddox (Daily Writing Tips) with Double Possessive
- Maeve Maddox (Daily Writing Tips) with Hanging Words
- Melissa Bowersock (Indies Unlimited) with Foreword, March!
- Brian A. Klems (WritersDigest.com) with Are Subjects Joined by And Singular or Plural? – Grammar Rules
- Marilynn Byerly (Adventures in Writing) with Using Texting in Fiction
- WriteWorld: Am I Funny?
- WriteWorld: Figuring Out an Illness for Your Character
Writing Books – New and Interesting
- Damien Walter (The Guardian) with The science of writing SF
- Melissa Donovan (Writing Forward) with Writing Resources: The Practice of Poetry
Publishing – News
- Jeremy Greenfield (Digital Book World) with A $22 Ebook Best-Seller?!
- Digital Book World: Barnes & Noble to Give Away Nook Content in Spain, Italy, Switzerland and the Netherlands
- Digital Book World: Humble Bundle to Sell Digital Comics in Pay-What-You-Want Model
- Digital Book World: Scholastic Launches Children’s Ebook Subscription Service in Schools
- Digital Book World: Three Trends Among Ebook Readers
- Sean May (LitReactor) with Amazon Angers Fans With Comixology Changes
- Andrew Albanese (Publishers Weekly) with Changes Coming to Frankfurt Book Fair
- Publishers Weekly: German Publisher Makes Digital Move in the U.S.
- The Passive Voice: Amazon Prime and Kindle Continue Strongly
- The Passive Voice: McDonald’s offers kids free e-books
Publishing – Ideas and Opinion
- Naturi Thomas-Millard (LitReactor) with Digital Piracy Is the Best Thing to Ever Happen to Us, Said No Writer, Ever. 6 Reasons It’s a Bigger Threat Than You Think
- The Passive Voice: Can publishers change from funnels to megaphones?
Publishing – Literary Agents
- Scott Eagan: Your Query Letter DOES Serve A Purpose
- Liz de Jager (Tor) with Getting That Book Deal: Pitching Banished to Tor UK
Self Publishing – Tips and Tricks
- Elle Carter Neal (Blood-Red Pencil) with Countdown to a Self-Published Book 3 : Rewrite!
- DIY MFA: Why Hire a Freelance Editor?
- K.S. Brooks (Indies Unlimited) with Navigating Google Play
- RJ Crayton (Indies Unlimited) with Uploading Your Book to the Google Play Store
- Paige Crutcher (Publishers Weekly) with My Self-Publishing Journey: Putting Together My A-Team
Self Publishing – Ideas and Opinion
Author and Book Promotion – Tips and Tricks
- Quentin Bates (Indies Unlimited) with Selling Yourself
- Linda S. Clare: Three Easy Ways to Promote Your Novel
- Elizabeth Spann Craig (Mystery Writing is Murder) with Newsletters as Promo
- Hugh O. Smith (The Write Life) with 5 Marketing Strategies for Writers Who Hate Promoting Their Own Work
Author and Book Promotion – Websites, Social Media and Blogging
- Wise, Ink.: Join the Conversation: The Art of Following Trends
- Ava Jae (Writability) with How to Create Twitter-sized Bites
- Ava Jae (Writability) with Why Writers Should Participate in Twitter Chats
Author and Book Promotion – Book Blurbs and Covers
- Mary Robinette Kowal: Debut Author Lesson: Covers
- Jeff Goins with The Secret to Not Sucking
- Max Booth III (LitReactor) with Targeting Your Readers One Headshot at a Time
- Betty Kelly Sargent (Publishers Weekly) with Finding Your Niche: On Genre Fiction and Indie Auhors
- The Passive Voice: James Strauss and his Fake Writing Credits
- Glen Long (Write to Done) with 3 Habits That Separate Good Writers From Tragic Wannabes
Writing Life – Imagination and Ideas
- Art as Inspiration:
- Hunter Liguore (Amazing Stories) with Writing Prompts for Speculative Fiction Writers [Writing Prompts]
- Stavros Halvatzis: Big Story Ideas
- Marianne Richmond (The Write Practice) with Five Ways to Fuel your Imagination
- Brian A. Klems (WritersDigest.com) with Back in Time [Writing Prompt]
Writing Life – Motivation
- Stages of Procrastination:
- Daniel Hope (LitReactor) with 11 Authors Who Became Famous After They Died
- The Passive Voice: Elizabeth Gilbert: Success, failure and the drive to keep creating [Video]
- Kathryn Craft (Writers In The Storm Blog) with 5 Steps Toward Your Truest Contribution
Writing Life – Tips and Tricks
- Jody Hedlund: How to Cheat to Find More Work Time
- Matthew Eaton (Live Write Thrive) with “Zero-Based Thinking” for Writers
Writing Life – Ideas and Opinion
- Bob Mayer: So You Want To Make A Living Writing? 13 Harsh Truths.
- Amanda Maciel (The Other Side of the Story) with Timely or Trendy? Better to Follow Your Heart
- The Passive Voice: On the Breaking of Rules in Writing