Don’t Miss These Links:
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies #165 – January 22, 2015
- Expanded Horizons #45 – January 2015
- @Terraform: “CES 2067″ by Sam Biddle
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies #165 – January 22, 2015 [Fantasy Magazine - also available as eBook]
- @Chilling Tales for Dark Nights:
- @Daily Science Fiction:
- Escape Pod #476 – “In Loco Parentis” by Andrea Phillips [Science Fiction]
- Expanded Horizons #45 – January 2015 [Speculative Fiction Magazine]
- @Lightspeed Magazine:
- “He Came From a Place of Openness and Truth” by Bonnie Jo Stufflebeam [Science Fiction]
- “More Adventures on Other Planets” by Michael Cassutt [Science Fiction]
- “The Archon” by Matthew Hughes [Fantasy - also available in audio]
- “The Lonely Heart” by Aliette de Bodard [Fantasy - also available in audio]
- @Mythic Delirium: “The Absence of Words” by Swapna Kishore [Speculative Fiction]
- @Nightmare Magazine:
- @Omni Reboot: “The Visitors Warns Of First Contact” by Erik Moshe [Science Fiction]
- @Terraform: “CES 2067″ by Sam Biddle [Science Fiction]
- @Tor: “And the Burned Moths Remain” by Benjanun Sriduangkaew [Science Fiction]
- @Author’s Site: “Barsoom Billy” by Lou Antonelli [Martian Western]
- @Author’s Site: Pulped by Tom Tinney: [Science Fiction Noir Serial]
Written – Flash
- @365 tomorrows:
- “A Short Dark Night” by Benjamin Sixsmith [Science Fiction Flash]
- “All Right, Have It Your Way – You Heard a Seal Bark” by Theric Jepson [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Aqueous Solution” by Bob Newbell [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Awakening” by Michael Hughes [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Coal Miners” by Duncan Shields [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Colour Me” by Steve Smith [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Interview With A Dictator” by Bob Newbell [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Last Man” by George R. Shirer [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Relocation” by Duncan Shields [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Remote Angels” by Jae Miles [Science Fiction Flash]
- “The Calm” by Ian Hill [Science Fiction Flash]
- “The Futility of Flight” by Lydia Devadason [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Too Many Coppers” by Jae Miles [Science Fiction Flash]
- @Chilling Tales for Dark Nights: “Muddy” by Patrick Narvasa [Horror - also available on YouTube]
- @Daily Science Fiction:
- “A Million Oysters For Chiyoko” by Caroline M Yoachim [Speculative Fiction Flash]
- “Crowned” by Rebecca Fraimow [Magic Realism Flash]
- “Dance the Light Fantastic” by Lee Hallison [Science Fiction Flash]
- Dichotomous key to“animals” discovered by the first settlers on Quintana: Kepler-186F by Melanie Rees [Science Fiction Flash]
- “For Your Time” by Jamie Lackey [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Masks” by S E Lewis [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Perfectly Justified Response” by Peter A Schaefer [Time Travel Flash]
- “The Kindness of Bones” by Leslie Jane Anderson [Fairy Tale Flash]
- “Treatment naive” by Steve Zisson [Science Fiction Flash]
- @Every Day Fiction:
- “An Engineered Product” by Shane Halbach [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Birthday O’Clock” by Sean Jones [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Early Morning Enlightenment” by Ajay Patri [Horror Flash]
- “Hindsight” by Louise Lemieux [Fantasy Flash]
- “Rig #9″ by Dan Blunk [Ghost Story Flash]
- “Separation” by Matthew King [Science Fiction Flash]
- “The Executioner’s Gaze” by Li B.Y. Ralph [Horror Flash]
- “The Fish Eaters” by Sean McLachlan [Science Fiction Flash]
- “The Wind’s Betrayal” by M. P. Rossi [Fantasy Flash]
- @Farther Stars Than These: “Operation Destiny “ by Joseph Patchen [Science Fiction Flash]
- @Nature: “The left hands of lovers” by Emily Eckart [Science Fiction Flash]
Written – Serialized
- @Calamities Press – D: DOL 39 by Patrick W. Marsh: [Dystopian Horror Serialization]
- @Paizo: The Patch Man by Adam Heine – Chapter One: Warm Bodies [Shared World Fantasy Serialization]
- @Tansy – Author’s Site: Musketeer Space by Tansy Rayner Roberts: [Space Opera Serialization]
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies Audio Vault #14 – “Between Shifting Skin and Certainty” by Justin Howe [Fantasy]
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies Podcast #142 – “Everything Beneath You” by Bonnie Jo Stufflebeam [Fantasy]
- Beware the Hairy Mango #251 – “Pubic Flair” by Matthew Sanborn Smith [Carthaginian Mangoes?]
- Cast of Wonders #149 – “Bricks and Sunlight” by M. K. Hutchins [YA Fantasy]
- @Clarkesworld Magazine:
- Drabblecast #347 – “Why I Hate Zombie Unicorns” by Laura Pearlman [Horror Comedy]
- @Escape Pod:
- @Lightspeed Magazine:
- @Nightmare Magazine: “The Trampling” by Christopher Barzak [Horror]
- #346 -“The Pilgrim and the Angel” by E. Lily Yu [Fantasy]
- “#347 – Flash Fiction Extravaganza: Great Power, Greater Responsibilities” [Fantasy]
- @SFFaudio: “The Calamander Chest” by Joseph Payne Brennan [Horror]
- #368 -“Digital Rights” by Brent Knowles [Science Fiction]
- #369 -“Bots d’Armor” and “Mother’s World” by Cat Rambo [Science Fiction]
- #370 -“Lullaby” by Anna North [Science Fiction]
- #371 -“Silence in Florence” by Ian Creasey and “The Piratical Sabbital” by Ian Whates [Science Fiction]
- Tales To Terrify #156 – “Blameless” by David Niall Wilson and “Who Is Like God” by B.E. Scully [Horror]
Audio – Radio Dramas
- @Boxcars711 Old Time Radio Pod:
- @Relic Radio:
- 2000 Plus -“The Other Man” [Science Fiction Radio Drama - from 1950]
- CBS Radio Mystery Theater -“Ghost At High Noon” [Horror Radio Drama - from 1974]
- Dark Fantasy -“Pennsylvania Turnpike” [Horror Radio Drama - from 1942]
- The Mysterious Traveler -“The Accusing Corpse” [Horror/Weird Radio Drama - from 1944]
Audio – Serialized
- @Aftermath: Season 2, Episode 6 -“Omega” [Post-Apocalyptic Serial]
- Cthulhu #189 – The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers [Horror Collection Serialization]
- Welcome to Night Vale #60 – “Water Failure” [Fantasy Serial]
- @Author’s Site: Ghost Train to New Orleans by Mur Lafferty – Episode 12 [Urban Fantasy Novel Serialization]
- @Author’s Site: Ghost Train to New Orleans by Mur Lafferty – Episode 13 [Urban Fantasy Novel Serialization]
Free eBooks – Science Fiction
C.R.O.W. (The Union Series) by Phillip Richards
Andy Moralee knew that life with his new company of Dropship Infantry would be hard, but nothing could prepare him for life in one of the toughest units in the Union army. New arrivals, nicknamed ‘Crow’ by their platoons, are the lowest form of life in his Company, and he finds himself at the mercy of unforgiving commanders and bullies, all the time knowing that the real enemy are waiting for him at the end of his journey through the void. The enemy know that the Union are coming, they have dug in and fortified, and they are ready.
[Military Science Fiction Novel - First of Series - Amazon]
OMEGA Exile (OMEGA #1) by Stephen Arseneault
For two thousand years, the Human run empire known as the Alliance of Major Planets (AMP) brought peace and stability to the five galaxies surrounding and including the Milky Way. Advances in technology, and a strong set of fair laws, had allowed a peaceful expansion of Human ideals. As the alliance aged, corruption crept in, allowing an overthow that placed a dozen ruling families in charge. Without clear leadership, the New Alliance began to decay, and without change, it will ultimately fail.
For Knog Beutcher, a three star veteran detective, living in the New Alliance is a struggle. He finds himself caught in the middle of the chaos as colonies rebel and populations riot. With the invasion of one of the galaxies by an external enemy, the alliance’s future becomes uncertain. Corruption, rebellion, intrigue and lawlessness have come to Knog’s world. His struggles have only just begun…
[Military Science Fiction Novel - First of Series - Amazon]
The Rise of Planet Rubicon – Part One by Dasrim Hasik
Jack is a teenager who lives in a dysfunctional Missouri family. Jack loves chemistry and astronomy. His is fascinated looking at photos of planets, stars and galaxies. He wants to major in Aerospace Engineering and even work for NASA in some capacity. Yet, the environment he lives in is not encouraging at all.
[Hard Science Fiction Serial - First Part - Amazon]
“Tripler: The Beginning” by Neil Vogler
The ability to Triple comes at a price: insanity, manifesting itself as a murderous rage…
In the near future an impossible virus is giving people the ability to summon two identical physical copies of themselves into existence at any time and in any situation – sending them violently insane as a side-effect. They call the infected ‘Triplers’.
Harry Allwear is a specialist tracker, an experienced, highly-trained operative working for an international organisation dedicated to wiping out the Tripler menace. But after his latest mission goes badly wrong and a dangerous target gets the better of him, Harry regains consciousness to find his worst fear realised: he’s been deliberately infected with the virus.
[Science Fiction Adventure Short Story - Prequel to Series - Amazon]
Free eBooks – Post-Apocalyptic and Dystopian
After The Ending (The Ending Series, #1) by Lindsey Fairleigh and Lindsey Pogue
The Virus spread. Billions died. The Ending began. We may have survived the apocalypse, but the Virus changed us.
When people started getting sick, “they” thought it was just the flu. My roommate, my boyfriend, my family…they’re all gone now. I got sick too. I should have died with them–with the rest of the world–but I didn’t. I thought witnessing the human population almost disappear off the face of the earth was the craziest thing I’d ever experience. I was so wrong. My name is Dani O’Connor, and I survived The Ending.
The Virus changed everything. The world I knew is gone, and life is backwards. We’ve all had to start over. I’ve been stripped of my home, my dreams…all that is me. I’m someone else now–broken and changed. Other survivors’ memories and emotions haunt me. They invade my mind until I can no longer separate them from my own. I won’t let them consume me. I can’t. My name is Zoe Cartwright, and I survived The Ending.
We’ve been inseparable for most of our lives, and now our friendship is all we have left. The aftermath of the Virus has stranded us on opposite sides of the United States. Trusting strangers, making sacrifices, killing–we’ll do anything to reach one another. Fear and pain may be unavoidable, but we’re strong…we’re survivors. But to continue surviving in this unfamiliar world plagued by Crazies and strange new abilities, we have to adapt. We have to evolve.
And more than anything, we have to find each other.
[Post-Apocalyptic Romance Novel - First of Series - Amazon]
Remnants: A Record of Our Surviva by Daniel Powell
The blight fell across the face of the world like a shroud. It mutated so quickly that the virologists never really had a chance.
America sealed its borders, but it was too late. By the time the first North American cannibalism clusters surfaced in Montreal, Winnipeg, and Vancouver, the blight was already incubating in many northern cities.
A dozen weeks later, everything was gone.
And yet, survivors have persisted. This is the story of the Keanes—an ordinary American family from what used to be Portland, Oregon—and their not-so-ordinary story of survival in the face of unthinkable human depravity.
[Post-Apocalyptic Novelette - Amazon]
Time and Again (The History Mystery Series #1) by Deborah Heal
Abby Thomas is spending the summer in a run-down old house with a bratty pre-teen named Merrideth she is supposed to tutor. Not a dream job. But it does come with perks.
There’s John Roberts, a devastatingly attractive neighbor who is almost too wonderful to be real.
And there’s the new computer program Beautiful Houses—also too amazing to be real. No one knows how it works, but with it she can rewind and fast-forward the lives of all the people who ever lived in the house, including Charlotte Miles.
In 1858, the house is a train stop on the Alton & Chicago Line. And Charlotte is stuck there serving meals to the passengers, wondering if she’ll ever get to have any fun. And then she meets two travelers who change her life forever.
[Time Travel Novel - First of Series - Amazon]
Free eBooks – Post-Apocalyptic and Dystopian – Young Adult
Warchild: Pawn (The Warchild #1) by Ernie Lindsey
The world ended long before Caroline Mathers was born, but that doesn’t mean life stops for the fourteen-year-old scout for the People’s Republic of Virginia. Abandoned by her parents, raised by her grandfather, she guards the forests surrounding their crumbling encampment, keeping a watchful eye on their devious and shadowy enemies from the north.
Drastic, terrifying change comes the day Caroline hears the sound that everyone dreads: distant drums echoing throughout their quiet valley, pounding to the beat of the war rhythm. With much-needed help from unlikely allies, Caroline leads her people in a breathtaking retreat, praying they’ll find salvation in their capitol city. Along the way, haunting dreams may reveal a look into her mystifying past.
[YA Dystopian Superhero Novel - First of Series - Amazon | B&N | Kobo]
Free eBooks – Fantasy
Chronicles of Steele: Raven – Episode 1 by Pauline Creeden
Human life has value.
The poor living in the gutter are as valuable as the rich living in a manor.
The scoundrel is no less valuable than the saint.
Because of this, every life a reaper takes must be redeemed.
Raven has lived by this first tenet since she was trained by her father to become a reaper. But since his death, she’s been spending years redeeming the lives she’s taken. By her count, she’s even and it’s time for that life to end. If she settles down and becomes a wife, she might just feel human again. But on the way to the life she thinks she wants, the baron of New Haven asks her to complete a task which she cannot ignore… Just when Raven decides to give up on her life as an assassin, she’s pulled right back in.
[Fantasy Serial - First Episode - Amazon]
The Bite on the Line (Bytarend #1) by Simon Cantan
Clinging to the bar running along the front of the platform, Sergeant Osric has a lot of time to think about how he got there. About how he’s shooting through a forest on a rocket powered railcar. About how a grinning thief is clinging to the same bar beside him. Most of all, though, about how he’s heading for Bytarend; a town no-one has heard from in almost a hundred years. There has to be a reasonable explanation for their silence, after all. Osric tries to think of a reason that doesn’t end in his horrible death…
… he can’t come up with one.
[Dark Fantasy Adventure Comedy Novel - First of Series - Amazon]
Yseult, Part I: Two Women by Ruth Nestvold
Yseult the Wise and Yseult the Fair, mother and daughter, are members of the proud race of the Feadh Ree, the Old Race in Eriu. New ways and a new religion are coming to their land, and despite all their magic, they may be powerless to stop it.
[Arthurian Fantasy Novella - First of Series - Amazon]
Free eBooks – Fantasy – Paranormal and Romance
Cat Walk Diaries, Book One – Goldie by Sofia O. Mansfield
The Cat Walk Agency hires models – only the most beautiful women are chosen. But there is another darker side-line business at this modeling agency. A few special women are hired for a short time by ‘men-of-means.’ The cost is high–it might be even higher for the women who are thus employed. Each of the women uses an alias. This is the story of Goldie.
It’s Goldie’s first date working for the Cat Walk Modeling agency. She’s very frightened, not knowing what to expect. Her client, Alex, is not at all what she anticipated. Is it love at first date?
[Contemporary Fantasy Romance Novelette - First of Series - Amazon]
Free eBooks – Zombies
Voyage of the Dead – Book One Sovereign Spirit Saga by David Forsyth
Most survivors of the zombie apocalypse are aboard a ship that is well equipped to survive the end of civilization, while others struggle to survive in a world suddenly overrun by undead cannibals. This is an apocalyptic adventure set within a horror genre, full of blood, guts, violence and the human emotions that fuel our survival instincts. While some scenes include graphic violence, it is intended to be more exciting than disgusting and more about using your brains than eating them. Welcome Aboard and Bon Voyage!
[Zombie Novel - First of Series - Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]